To celebrate the sacrament of baptism, the following conditions must be satisfied:
- The family of the one to be baptized must be registered at Holy Spirit for a minimum of 3 months. Registration implies that the person or family has chosen Holy Spirit as their parish family, attends Mass regularly, and intends to be an active member for the foreseeable future.
- The parent or parents of the one to be baptized are required to attend a baptismal seminar. This seminar is only for parents of children younger than 7 years of age. If a child is 7 years or older, the parents and child must attend special classes through the Religious Education program and then the child will be baptized at the Easter Vigil.
- The godparents must also attend a seminar. If they do not live close to Holy Spirit Parish, they may attend a seminar at their own parish and submit a letter or certificate of completion to the pastor of Holy Spirit.
- A godparent must be 18 years of age; have received the Sacraments of Baptism, Eucharist, and Confirmation, be actively practicing their faith; and if married, the marriage must be blessed by the Church. Only one godparent is required for baptism, though parents usually choose two.
- The dates of the seminars and the desired dates for baptisms are listed in the bulletin and on the parish website. Parents should inform the godparents of the dates of the baptism so they can plan their vacation or time off of work to come on the designated day of baptism. Baptisms take place during the Saturday or Sunday Masses. Baptism in Spanish only take place during the Sunday 12:30 p.m. Spanish Mass. (As well as on some Saturday evenings at 6:15 p.m. outside of Mass).
Baptism Information Sheet
Informacion por Bautismo